1. ‘Disability’ has the same meaning as in the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, 1990.
  2. ‘Handler’ refers to the person who has charge of the service animal. This would typically be the person whom the service animal is assisting with a disability.
  3. ‘Owner’ refers to the legal owner of the service animal.
  4. A “pet” refers to any domestic or tamed animal kept for companionship or pleasure that is not a service animal.
  5. An animal is a ‘service animal’ for a person with a disability if (as outlined in the Regulation 191/11: Integrated Accessibility Standards under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005):
    1. The animal can be readily identified as one that is being used by the person for reasons relating to the person’s disability, as a result of visual indicators such as the vest or harness worn by the animal; and
    2. The person provides documentation from one of the following regulated health professionals confirming that the person requires the animal for reasons relating to the disability. This includes:
      1. A member of the College of Audiologist and Speech Language Pathologists of Ontario
      2. A member of the College of Chiropractors of Ontario
      3. A member of the College of Nurses of Ontario
      4. A member of the College of Occupational Therapists of Ontario
      5. A member of the College of Optometrists of Ontario
      6. A member of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario
      7. A member of College of Physiotherapists of Ontario
      8. A member of the College of Psychologists of Ontario
      9. A member of the College of Registered Psychotherapists and Registered Mental Health Therapists of Ontario

Residents requesting the use of a service animal in residence should contact the Housing and Residence Life Services (

Residents will be required to provide the following:

  • A personal letter with specific details regarding the reasons why they need to bring a service animal to residence;
  • The completion of a detailed form by one of the listed health professionals that verifies the service animal need. The form will be provided by Housing and Residence Life Services for the resident to give to the professional to complete and return to the Department.
  • If approval is granted, documentation from a certified veterinarian with proof that the service animal’s vaccinations are current, in good health and has an appropriate preventative medicine program (e.g. parasite control, etc.)

Acceptance of a Service Animal Behavioral Contract including responsibility for its health including waste management; hygiene of the service animal and its environment; to maintain control of the service animal at all times ensuring it is not disruptive to residents.

Residents with an approved service animals will be issued an identification card that will include the name, species and size of the animal, the name or the resident and emergency contact information.

While it is not a legal requirement, it is highly recommended that the service animal wear some type of easily recognizable symbol (i.e. harness, backpack, special collar or scarf) that identifies it as a service animal.

Service animals in training may visit the university grounds with permission; however, these service animals are not approved to live in residence until their training is complete.