1. Am I eligible for health care while living on campus?

All students, staff and faculty may use Health and Counselling Services for their medical care. All international or exchange students enrolled in a degree program at Carleton university are required to sign up for the University Health Insurance Plan. UHIP (as it is commonly referred to) covers a number of services such as hospital services (emergency room and non-emergency hospitalization), physician’s services (treatment of illnesses and injuries) and miscellaneous services (diagnostic and x-ray services, vaccinations, emergency ambulances). You should note however, that UHIP does not cover dental costs and medication. Students should contact the Carleton University Students’ Association for details on the Accident, Dental and Drug Plan. For more information on UHIP, you can visit the International Student Services Office website.

2. How can I connect with other international students living in residence?

Throughout the year, Residence Fellows and Community Developers will be developing and implementing programs and events geared towards residence students as a whole. Attending these events are a great way to get involved and meet other students. Occasionally, events will be held with a primary focus on international students and will give you the opportunity to meet and talk to other international students. You can also talk to your Residence Fellow who may be able to provide you information about whether or not there are international students on your specific floor. Additionally, the International Student Services Office will also be holding events, programs and presentations throughout the year that may be of interest to you and provide you with the opportunity to connect with other international students at Carleton

3. What if I experience culture shock? Are there resources available?

Transitioning to residence life and university can be nerve-wracking and having the additional worry of experiencing culture shock can be added stress. If you begin to feel overwhelmed, talk to your Residence Fellow. They are great resources and are an open-ear to talk about what’s bothering you. They also have contact information for further resources on campus, and can point you in the right direction. You can also talk to a counselor at the satellite office of Health and Counselling. There are three counselors that work directly with residence students and are available weekdays from 8:30am-4pm. The International Student Services Office is also a great resource for international students and can provide an additional level of support.

4. Can anyone, including parents, contact the Department of Housing and Residence Life Services and receive information about residence students?

Due to the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA), Carleton University’s Department of Housing and Residence Life Services is bound to maintain confidentiality of any student information. This information can only be released if the student gives the Department of Housing and Residence Life Services written authorization to do so through a third party release.

5.  What happens if my visa/study permit isn’t issued before Move in Weekend?

If you cancel your room through Carleton Central prior to midnight on September 2nd because your visa was denied, you will receive a full refund of your deposit provided that you submit proof. Details to be provided upon cancellation.

If you complete a Late Arrival to Residence Form to have your space held, you will incur room and board charges for which you will be responsible.

If you cancel after September 2 because your visa is denied and have not made further payments apart from the deposit, you will receive a refund of the balance of your deposit, upon proof, less the room and board charges incurred each day we hold the room.