1. How do I withdraw from residence? What if I withdraw after the semester begins?

Full deposit refunds are provided to 1st year students with guaranteed residence only, who cancel prior to the deadline in June. To cancel your offer, please do so online through Carleton Central.

A partial refund of $350 will be issued to any student type who cancels their room reservation online, prior to the deadline in July.

Please click here for more information about important dates and deadlines.

If you wish to withdraw from residence after you have moved in, please refer to Withdrawing From Residence for information about the withdrawal policy.

2. Do I receive a tax receipt for living in residence?

Ontario University Residences are not taxed.  The Department of Housing and Residence Life Services does not issue tax receipts. The total amount that Ontario students can claim for residence is $25. No receipt is necessary for this claim. If you are from another province or out of country, please check with your local government for their income tax requirements.

3. Should I purchase insurance coverage?

Yes, you should purchase insurance coverage. Whether living on or off-campus, consider purchasing tenant’s insurance to insure that all of your possessions are safe. The University does not carry insurance to protect possessions brought in to Residence by students and does not assume obligation or liability for lost, stolen, or damaged items of personal property under any circumstance. It is your responsibility to arrange insurance for such personal possession and often a parent’s policy can be extended to cover the Residence room.

4. Is it mandatory to purchase a meal plan?

The All Access Plan provides unlimited entry to the caf plus $100 dining dollars and is a requirement for residents living in traditional residence. Students living in suite style also have a choice of enrolling in the Reduced Plan that includes 10 meals a week and $300 dining dollars. Any residents may wish to take the All Access Plus meal plan, which includes unlimited access to the caf and $400 dining dollars.  Additionally, residents of Leeds House and Frontenac House are not obliged to purchase a meal plan. However, residents of all other Houses are required to purchase a meal plan.

5. Where can I use my meal plan or Residence Dining Dollars?

The meal plan choices include a combination of meals in the caf and a cash credit to be used at any time at most University-operated food service outlets.

You may use the Residence Dining Dollars at the following locations or visit the Dining Services link for more information:

-Food Court, 2nd Floor University Centre

-Loeb Café, 1st Floor Loeb Building

-Oasis, 1st Floor Residence Commons

-Bakers Grille, 4th Floor University Centre

-All Tim Horton’s locations

-Starbucks, 4th Floor University Centre

-Second Cup, 1st Floor Canal Building

-Starbucks, 1st Floor MacOdrum Library

-Bent Coin, 5th Floor Robertson Hall

-Tunnel Junction, Tunnel Level of the Library

6. Is it possible to switch meal plans? What happens if I run out of money?

Yes, residents of suite style may change plans. The first change is without charge and an administrative fee of $25 will be charged for each subsequent change. There are two deadlines in order to switch meal plans. After the deadline dates, only changes resulting in an increase in the number of weekly meals in a students’ meal plan will be permitted.

Additional money can be added to your card at any time. Just go to any of the following on-campus locations and give them your card and money to be added:

Full Service Deposit Locations

  • Campus Card Office, 407 University Centre
  • Residence Commons Desk, Commons Building
  • The Print Shop, 102 Robertson Hall

Self Services Deposit Locations

  • 2nd and 4th floors, near the CU on the GO machines, in MacOdrum Library
  • Residence Commons, 2nd floor near the Residence Desk
  • University Centre, 4th floor near the Campus Card Office

Online Deposit System

7. Do my Dining Dollars carry over from fall to winter term? What happens if I have dining dollars left over at the end of the year?

Yes, any leftover balance from the first semester will carry over to the second term.  However, there is no refund for missed meals and tax regulations prohibit the refunding of any dining dollar balance. Dining Dollars terminate at the end of the school year.

8. Will I be able to make healthy food choices? What if I am vegetarian, vegan or practice Halal? What about allergies or special dietary issues?

In the caf, known as The Caf, there are various stations with many choices to ensure that residents always have healthy options.  This includes a daily vegan menu including four hot entrees and a separate salad bar. There is a weekly cycle of daily Halal items available upon request at the Grill station.   The Caf is a nut free facility.  (However, there is always a risk of cross contamination so it is advised that residents with severe allergies make staff aware).  Lactose free and gluten free products are also available.  For students with other food allergies or special dietary restrictions, it is advised that you speak directly to one of the Managers or Chefs available in the dining hall or make an appointment with their dietitian, https://dining.carleton.ca/nutrition/ask-a-dietitian/.