Health & Safety

Health & Safety

You are browsing Health & Safety

Emergency Situations

For emergency situations on campus, please call Campus Safety.  You can dial extension 4444 from your residence phone or 613-520-4444 from your cell phone.  As well, this number can be dialed free of charge from any payphone on campus.

Please visit the Campus Safety website for resources including information on additional emergency contacts, the campus emergency response plan, and personal safety tips.

Fire Safety

At Carleton University we take great pride in being leaders in fire and life safety: ensuring that you can leave the building in a safe and effective manner. You can do your part too.

Please click here for building specific fire brochures.

  • Make sure the hallways are free from obstructions (i.e., bicycles, boxes, furniture). Ensure all exits are free from obstructions allowing easy travel and preventing delays or injuries during an emergency.
  • Keep all doors closed. They are designed to stop or delay the spread of smoke, toxic gases and fire. Your escape route could be blocked by fire or smoke if these doors are propped open.
  • Ensure all trash and recyclable materials are placed in the appropriate containers. They can catch fire easily and emit toxic smoke.
  • If you notice any missing exit signs, notify the Housing and Conference Services staff so appropriate action may be taken.
  • Use only Electrical Safety Authority (ESA) approved power bars and do not overload outlet or power bars.
  • Power bars should be used according to specifications; don’t staple/nail or run cords under carpet or rugs.
  • Ensure paper and other flammable materials do not accumulate next to outlets/power bars (i.e., next to printers).
  • Unplug electrical equipment such as irons, curling irons, and kettles when they are not in use. Never leave them unattended and do no store them until they are cooled. Keep them away from bed linens.
  • Cooking appliances are only permitted in kitchen prep areas of suite style residences.
  • Candles or incense are not permitted in Residence.
  • Smoking is not permitted in the residence buildings.

False Fire Alarms

False fire alarms endanger other people and property by needlessly calling emergency services to locations where they are not needed. In addition, complacency among residents due to false alarms can place occupants in danger should the alarm be signaling a real fire.

The intentional sounding of a false alarm is a criminal offence and a breach of the Residence Contract.

Should a fire alarm be activated that is later determined to be false, caused by a careless act, or by the use of appliances and/or substances that are prohibited by the Residence Contract, the residents of the appropriate living unit may be penalized in an amount not exceeding $500 per person, per occasion and may also have their Residence Contract terminated.

If you know or suspect a given individual is responsible for the activation of a fire alarm (i.e.,burnt popcorn, accidental damage to a device, etc), please follow the fire alarm evacuation guidelines and advise Housing and Conference Services or University Safety Staff upon exiting the building.

When A Fire Alarm Sounds

  • Never assume it is a false alarm and immediately exit at your nearest stairwell.
  • Take all medications with you when you leave.
  • If you cannot exit the building use Carleton University’s ‘Stay in Place’ procedure.
  • Do not attempt to use the elevators.
  • Get away from the building and go to your ‘Safe Destination’ site. Once outside, take direction from Department of University Safety or Department of Housing and Conference Services Staff.
  • Do not re-enter the building until you hear the “All Clear” (60 seconds continuous tone) and receive instructions from Housing and Conference Services and Department of University Safety Staff.

Stay In Place Locations

Stay in Place’ locations are places of safety that you may go to if you cannot exit the building (i.e., presence of smoke, heat, fire and/or mobility restrictions). Examples of these locations are: bedrooms, floor lounges, and corridors.  If you cannot leave your room or once you get into the hallway, room or stairwell and you can’t go any further:

1. Stay in your room or return to your room. If you cannot return to your room, stay in your current safe place.

2. Call the Department of University Safety at 4444 or 613-520-4444 (if using a non-residence phone) and provide them with the following information:

  • Indicate that you cannot leave.
  • Provide your name and location.
  • Provide information on what smoke, heat, and/or flames you have noticed.
  • Indicate if you have mobility restrictions or other conditions.
  • Indicate if there are other people with you and how many.

3. Seal up the cracks around the door(s) by using tape, sheets or clothing dampened with water (if possible).

4. Hang brightly coloured objects in the window. Do not break the window as it may be needed to stop smoke from entering your room from the outside.

Healthcare on Campus

Health and Counselling Services is your health and wellness centre on campus.  Here you will find a healthcare facility that provides medical, counselling, and health promotion programs to students and staff.

The team of medical professionals including family physicians and registered nurses provides outpatient medical services and serve as primary care providers at Health and Counselling Services (HCS).  Appointments can be made for general health concerns, and walk-in services are available for those in need of more immediate medical assistance. HCS provides specialized services to meet the needs of the Carleton University student, faculty, and staff population in addition to basic medical and walk-in services.

The main facility is located in the Carleton Technology and Training Centre where you can also find a pharmacy to fill your prescriptions.  For additional information, please visit the Health and Counselling Services website.

Counselling in Residence

We are very pleased to offer a unique Health and Counselling Services satellite office located in Residence Commons where students can seek confidential counselling.  Here, short term counselling is available to help alleviate distress and promote healthy functioning.  Some examples of issues students may discuss with a counsellor include: coping with stress and homesickness, handling a crisis, increasing self-esteem, gender identity, eating disorders, and dealing with alcohol and drug concerns.   If you would like to meet with one of our counsellors in residence, please call 613-520-2600 extension 8061; their office is located in 131 Renfrew.  You can also find more information at 

Therapy Dog

Come and take time to paws your stress with Blue, the Residence Therapy Dog.  More information is available on the Health and Counselling website.

Sexual Assault

Sexual assault is any unwanted act of a sexual nature that is imposed on another person without their consent. Anyone who has been sexually assaulted should receive immediate and appropriate services. Carleton provides services to help those who have experienced sexual assault, and offers the campus community educational and sexual assault awareness programming.  Click here for more information.

Equity Services

Carleton University is host to students, staff, and faculty from various racial, cultural, and ethnic background. Equity Services endeavours to ensure that every member of the University community is able to work, study, and live in an environment free from prejudice, discrimination, and harassment.  The University prohibits discrimination and harassment on the basis of gender, race, colour, place of origin, ethnic origin, ancestry, citizenship, creed, or political affiliation. In the event of concerns or complaints of racial discrimination and/or harassment, Equity Services provides impartial advice and assistance with the goal of ensuring concerns are addressed early and at the informal stage.  For more information, please visit the Equity Services website.

Personal Safety

Living in residence is a very different environment than living at home. While it may feel natural to be at ease and feel comfortable with your new surroundings, that doesn’t mean you should let your guard down.   Regular patrols of campus are conducted by Campus Safety and Student Safety Patrol members.  However, it is helpful to think of our campus as being a small city.  If there are measures of personal safety that you would take off of campus, please ensure you take them on campus and in residence as well.  Please visit the Campus Safety website for more information about personal safety.

Personal Safety Tips:

  • Report suspicious people or activities to Campus Safety. If it makes you feel uncomfortable or gives you an uneasy feeling, chances are something’s not right!
  • Keep your door locked, even when you are in your room. You wouldn’t leave your front door at home open, so why leave your residence room open?
  • Do not share your keys, access cards or campus card with others.
  • Never prop open building doors or let people into your residence building if you do not know them. If someone you do not know tells you that they have forgotten their card to get onto the floor, don’t let them in. Instead, remind them that the Residence Desk staff can handle lockouts.
  • Never leave your personal belongings unattended. If you are studying in the TV or study lounge, and need to leave, bring your laptop or textbooks with you.
  • Try to leave your bags in your room when heading to the Residence Dining Hall. While the Fresh Food Company provides storage cubbies for belongings, unless you provide your own lock to securely lock the cubby, your belongings are at risk of being taken.
  • Stick to the safe paths when walking after dark. These paths are marked by yellow poles, and provide additional lighting as well as an emergency push button.
  • Try to walk with a group or a buddy, particularly after dark, both outside and within the tunnels.
  • Contact Foot Patrol if you are walking on campus after dark and would prefer not to walk alone.