Please review the following terms and conditions below:
Also review the 2021 Summer Residence Standards by clicking here.
Current residents transitioning from winter to summer residence:
- You will receive notice of your scheduled move out date from our department based on the spring exam schedule. You will be required to complete an Extension Form to remain in your room past your scheduled move out date.
- You will be permitted to stay in your current room from April 28th until you are advised to move. Your summer residence fees will begin as of April 28th. All current residents will be required to move to their new summer residence room by May 5th between 9:30am – 2:15pm EST. No exceptions.
New residents moving into summer residence:
- The earliest date of occupancy for all other summer residents (who did not reside in academic residence) is Wednesday, May 5th.
All students living in summer residence:
- The last night of summer occupancy for the whole summer session is August 25th. Your move out must be completed by 12:00 noon, August 26th. Should you require an extension due to summer course exams, please email email@example.com with proof of your exam schedule, and accommodations will be made; additional fees apply. Please note, there are no extensions to summer residence beyond the summer academic exam schedule unless you have a confirmed room for the fall 2021 term. The last day of exams is August 25th. If you are living in residence for the Fall, you will be required to move to your academic room on August 17th – no exceptions and this date is NOT flexible.
- The University does not carry insurance to protect possessions brought in to Residence and does not assume obligation or liability for lost, stolen or damaged items of personal property under any circumstances. In addition, the University does not assume obligation or liability for the replacement of food that may be lost or spoiled as a result of the failure of refrigerators provided. It is the responsibility of the student (should you wish) to arrange insurance for personal possession.
- The Resident accepts full responsibility for the use of the assigned Room and its contents and accepts any and all financial responsibility for damages and/or losses incurred. The Resident agrees that Rooms will be inspected and at the determination of the University will be invoiced for cleaning and/or repairs required. The Resident understands and agrees that Carleton University assumes no obligation or liability for lost, stolen or damaged items of personal property under any circumstance. Carleton University will not be liable, directly or indirectly, for any loss or theft of personal property or damage or destruction of personal property. The Resident is responsible for cleaning and maintaining an orderly state of the Room during the term of the residency including ensuring the Room is clean and free from refuse. Failure to remove items at the end of this Agreement will result in the disposal of the items and a charge to do so.
- Room/building swipe cards and/or keys are issued upon check in. Temporary room key cards are given out for a 24 hour period, and two temporary keys will not be given out consecutively. Replacement key cards cost $20.00.
- Floor Security doors are locked 24 hours a day. It is the resident’s responsibility to ensure that these devices are used as intended or their effectiveness, and hence the house/floor security, is compromised. Persons found tampering or misusing floor locking devices may have their residence accommodation terminated.
- The occupant will be held responsible for any shortage or damage to the room and furnishings. Rearranged furniture must be replaced to its original location before checking out.
- The occupant is responsible for cleaning his/her bedroom, shared bathroom and common suite area. No housekeeping services are provided.
- Cooking is ONLY permitted in the kitchenette areas of suites. Wherever the use of appliances for the preparation of food is permitted, the resident using the appliance bears responsibility for damage to or loss of University property that arises from careless or negligent use of the appliance.
- Firearms, replica firearms or any item or material, which may be deemed harmful or potentially harmful to the wellbeing of residents or to the safekeeping of the buildings are prohibited.
- All animals are prohibited (except Service Animals upon approval by the department of Housing and Residence Life).
- The University reserves the right to enter each summer long term stay residents room for the purposes of checking for pets (which are not permitted), maintenance work, fire alarms, violations of the Residence Standards, or inspection of cleanliness (will take place monthly). In normal circumstances 24 hours’ notice is given via the email address you provide on this application, (except in the case of emergencies, inspections for the presence of unauthorized animals).
- NO SMOKING is permitted anywhere in ANY building at Carleton University. This includes bedrooms in all Residences. In addition, smoking is not permitted within 10 meters of any campus building entrance/exit door, fresh air intake or building exhaust. Candles or incense may not be burned in Residence.
- Possession and use of controlled substance (e.g., illegal drugs), drug paraphernalia (e.g. bong) for the purpose of either personal use or sale to others is strictly prohibited.
- Persons who have not yet reached their nineteenth birthday may not purchase, obtain, possess or consume alcohol. Alcohol may be consumed if you have reached your 19th birthday in areas that are licensed for the sale or service of alcohol or a private residence. For the purpose of these terms, private residences include any Residence bedroom, suite, bathroom (excluding communal or visitor washrooms).
- Alcohol may not be consumed in such areas as the outdoors surrounding the Residences, corridors, stairwells, elevators, main floor lobbies and foyers.
- Residents are responsible for the actions, damages or loss caused by their guests.
- Residents must produce a valid Carleton University student card and/or personal photo identification upon the request of Housing and Residence Life staff, Conference Services staff, and/or the Department of University Safety or Dining Services Managers.
- Residents must abide by the directions of Housing and Residence Life staff, Conference Services staff, the Department of University Safety and Dining Services Managers.
- Fire Equipment (alarms, fire hoses, extinguishers, smoke detectors, heat detectors, sprinkler heads) is not to be tampered with.
- Residents have a responsibility to respect the rights of others. Actions that adversely affect or have the potential to adversely affect others in the community are prohibited. Residence Life Staff may follow up with those causing disruption to the community.
- A charge of $100.00 (minimum) will be added should you check out leaving your bedroom, bathroom or suite area in a state (garbage, vandalism, etc.) other than the clean condition it was when you moved in.
Fire Alarm Testing:
Mandatory annual and monthly fire alarm inspections/testing will take place within all residence building throughout the summer months. These tests will take place between 9am-5pm, Monday through Friday. You will be provided advance notice in writing to your cmail account. For the annual inspections staff will need to enter both your suite and bedroom for visual inspection.
Lock Change Program:
Carleton University will be undergoing a lock change program this summer to upgrade lock technology. This will require a change to the physical lock on bedroom/suite doors. Once the lock has been changed you will be required to obtain a new Campus Card. Housing and Residence Life Services, Facilities, and the Campus Card office are working together to make this transition as seamless as possible. You will be provided advance notice in writing to your cmail account.
Housing and Residence Life Facilities team will be required to enter your suite at least once a term for a review and visual inspection of both your common areas and bedroom to highlight any maintenance concerns. These inspections will take place between 9am-5pm Monday Through Friday. You will be provided advance notice in writing to your cmail account.
FAILURE TO ABIDE BY THE ABOVE TERMS AND CONDITIONS, THE RESIDENCE STANDARDS, OR IMPROPER BEHAVIOUR AS DETERMINED BY UNIVERSITY STAFF WILL RESULT IN IMMEDIATE TERMINATION OF OCCUPANCY WITHOUT NOTICE AND NO REFUND OF FEES.