Common Frequently Asked Questions

1. Is residence right for me? Why should I live in Residence?

The success of Carleton’s Residence Life is largely due to the commitment of the students and staff to community living. It is a great way to make friends for life while living in a community that has many resources and support.

Residence is convenient – your classes are only minutes away from your home away from home on campus where you live in a furnished room, eat meals prepared for you in the caf and have the resources of staff and programming designed to assist and support you in your academic and personal life.  You will meet friends for life.  However, students choosing to live in residence must be prepared to accept academic endeavor as a priority and appreciate that the number of people living in Residence and the physical nature of the buildings and environment require rules and regulations.  Those wishing a higher level of privacy or personal space and freedom from regulation and supervision may find that living in Residence is not the best choice for them.

2. Is there public transportation on campus?

OC transpo is Ottawa’s transportation system. There are four bus routes and the O-train, Ottawa’s rapid light-rail transit, which come onto campus.

3. Is smoking permitted in Residence?

Smoking is not permitted in the residence buildings by residents or their guests. In addition, smoking is not permitted within 10 metres of any campus building entrance/exit door.

4. When does residence close in December?

In December, residence closes from 2:00 pm on December 22nd until 12:00 pm noon on January 5th, 2020. If you must stay in residence during this time, you must receive permission from the Department of Housing and Residence Life Services and you will be required to pay an additional fee for room only.  More information will be sent to your Carleton email account in November.

5. When do I move out in April?

Blink and you’ll miss it! The year will be over before you know it, and as a Residence student you will have a check-out procedure to complete before your summer can officially begin!  All students are required to vacate your room no later than midnight the day following your final exam.  You will receive an email containing specific move out information starting in February.

6. Who can I turn to for questions and help?

At Carleton, we have Residence Life Staff in every building who are available to assist you in any way. We also have Residence Counsellors who are available to all residence students. They are located in 131 Renfrew House and have drop-in times every day.

7. Is there parking for students/visitors on campus?

Residence students can purchase a permit to park in Parking Lot 6. Guests can also park in the visitor’s parking of Lot 6.

Parking Website

8. How can my family and friends send me mail?

Each residence student has their own mailbox number in which they can be sent mail. Your mailing address is:

Your Name
Your Mailbox Number
Carleton University Residence
1233 Colonel By Drive
Ottawa, ON
K1S 5B7

9.  What is a designated quieter area?

Reasonable peace and quiet are expected to be observed at all times within our community.

Designated Quieter Communities – Additional consideration related to noise within the community is expected of those living in / visiting designated quieter communities. Residence Life Staff who work in these communities are responsible for working with all members of the community to define these additional expectations at the start of the academic year. Examination Periods – Additional consideration related to noise is a responsibility of all within the Residence community during the December and April examination periods to ensure that the environment is conducive to studying.

-QUIETER is defined as no audible sounds heard outside of rooms, floor hallways, common areas, and lounges.

-Residents are responsible for the actions, damages or loss caused by their guests within the Residence Complex. Students living on the quieter floors must ensure that their guests adhere and respect all community standards within our residence, including these.

-Students living on the quieter floors are encouraged to discuss violations of the Residence Contract and / or these standards amongst each other, and are encouraged to report any issues to staff if not able to self-resolve.

-Violations of these quieter floor standards may result in further actions from the Department of Housing and Conference Services, including an administrative imposed room change from this area.

10.  Federal Election Candidate Canvassing in Residence

For Federal Elections, the University will grant access to residence to candidates and persons acting on their behalf in accordance with s.81(1) of the Canada Elections Act (“the Act”). With the considerations noted in the Act in mind, Carleton University will grant access to foyer and common areas in traditional-style buildings between 9:00 am and 9:00 pm.

In addition, Carleton University will grant access in accordance with the Act to the doors of the units in suite-style residence buildings between 9:00 am and 9:00 pm.

Candidates are recommended to contact Housing and Residence Life Services at for assistance in arranging reasonable access to these spaces.

Additionally, consistent with our status as a non-partisan institution we would like to remind candidates that election signage is not permitted on University property with the exception of a student’s residence room.